Business at HIN:
key word searches or
to download articles
complete selection of health management resources for healthcare
executives. Your one-stop shop for the leading publications you
need! Click here to browse our categories or conduct key word searches
to find the products that best meets your needs!
your company's Web site or Intranet to HIN
Healthcare Intelligence Network Career Center brings together qualified
healthcare management professionals seeking new career opportunities
and healthcare organizations that are seeking to fill health management
positions within their companies.
Earn gift certificates by referring
your colleagues to the Healthcare Intelligence Network!
Healthcare Business Share this article with a colleague!
Story of the Week
Click here for a Free trial to Jenks Healthcare Business Report
IBM Predicts Top 5 Health and Wellness Devices of the Future
Whether connected online, to a PC, gaming device, tablet or smart phone, health and wellness devices will be a key tool in healthcare in the future, according to a new study from IBM.
The survey of more than 1,300 consumers currently using health devices revealed that not only will these devices attract the sick and elderly, but they will also appeal to healthier people who want to achieve wellness goals.
IBM scientists predict that the top five devices of the future will help individuals with the following challenges:
- Dieting Devices for dieting will also measure movement, speed and intensity, and engage users if they aren't moving enough or provide a movement task to accomplish. Friends and families will also be alerted to the patients' progress. These devices will also be integrated into tools for monitoring medication adherence, blood pressure and weight.
- Elder Care For patients suffering from memory loss or impairment, devices will pinpoint the location of both the user and the caregiver, and provide medication reminders and direct access to caregiver support.
- Blood monitoring The advent of a non-invasive blood test will automatically analyze blood via a wristband that will wirelessly transmit data to the patient's doctor. When cholesterol levels spike, iron levels drop or white blood cell counts increase, users will know when to modify their medications, or seek medical attention.
- Independence and mobility Devices to keep people ambulatory will increasingly be used to monitor movement. These devices will provide coaching and tasks to improve coordination, range of motion and stability. Devices will alert caregivers if a fall occurs.
- Communication New devices that tap brain waves will make it easier for the medically fragile and impaired to express their thoughts and sensations via a digital avatar of the human body.
Conducted by the IBM Institute for Business Value, the study revealed that consumers want health devices that offer greater simplicity and better information sharing. And they are willing to pay for it. More than one third of current device users surveyed expect to contribute to the cost of new health devices over the next two years while 35 percent also expect to pay a monthly service fee.
Source: IBM, June 27, 2011
Telemedicine Technologies: Information Technologies in Medicine and Telehealth
This resource focuses on how medical information can be reliably transmitted through wireless communication networks. It explains how they can be optimized to carry medical information in various situations by utilizing readily available traditional wireless local area network (WLAN) and broadband wireless access (BWA) systems.
Telemedicine Technologies: Information Technologies in Medicine and Telehealth is available from the Healthcare Intelligence Network for $95 by visiting our Online Bookstore or by calling toll-free (888) 446-3530.
Share this article with a colleague!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This information is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information on the business of healthcare. It is distributed with the understanding that Healthcare Intelligence Network is not engaged in rendering legal advice. If legal advice is required, the services of a competent professional should be retained.