5 Ways to Keep Pace with MACRA Momentum
In a nod to the wide diversity of physician practices, the recent "Pick Your Pace" announcement by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) clarifies the timing of reporting for year one of the Quality Payment Program and offers eligible physicians and other clinicians multiple options for participation.
But whatever participation level a practice elects for 2017, there are many ways eligible providers can proactively prepare for MACRA's ultimate impact on physician quality reporting and reimbursement prior to November 1, 2016, the date by which CMS has said it will issue the MACRA final rule.
Eric Levin, director of strategic services, McKesson, offered this advice for physician practices to prepare for Medicare's Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS), one of two payment paths CMS will offer to practices.
- First, make certain you are successfully participating in any Medicare Quality and electronic health record (EHR) programs, which would include the Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS), Meaningful Use, and the Patient-Centered Medical Home.
- Next, try and factor the alternative payment model (APM) participation bonus into your risk-based payment model adoption strategy to see if that might be something you can qualify for, as the rewards can be significantly higher under the APM track.
- Third, make sure you know which track your organization is going to seek. Explore APMs; if you can do one, great. If not, then MIPS can still provide a relatively high incentive.
- Next, start educating providers, employers, nurses, staff members, on what the payment track is going to be, what's going to be measured, and what the outcomes will be like as well.
- Finally, stay very close to CMS. Check their Web site, subscribe for e-mail updates and check their Twitter feed for anything that's changed, for any proposed MACRA rules that might become final, so that you are aware of and can make any changes as needed.
Source: MACRA Physician Quality Reporting: Positioning Your Practice for the MIPS Merit-Based Incentive Payment System
MACRA Physician Quality Reporting: Positioning Your Practice for the MIPS Merit-Based Incentive Payment System delivers a veritable MACRA toolkit for physician practices, with dozens of tips and strategies that lay the groundwork for reimbursement under Medicare's Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS), expected to begin in 2017 and one of two payment paths Medicare will offer to practices.
For more information or to reserve your copy today and save (shipping September 23rd), please visit:
In this 20-page special report, Mr. Levin provides an insightful overview of MACRA and sketches a detailed blueprint for MACRA readiness. Levin's advice covers more than 50 concepts to boost physician practice preparation, offering a compelling case for practices to polish their performance reporting skills.
With a focus on the MIPS path, since most practices will opt for MIPS rather than the Alternative Payment System (APM) based on current risk-contracting strategies, this report details the following:
A summary of MACRA eligibility, performance categories and data submission options;
Considerations for small and solo physician practices;
Four types of MACRA education, technical assistance and peer support options;
Five reasons physicians should prepare now for MACRA;
A dozen immediate actions physician practices can take in advance of MACRA rollout;
- Using the CMS Quality and Resource Use Report (QRUR) to determine value;
Five steps to prepare for MACRA implementation;
Three reasons it makes sense to adopt the patient-centered medical home (PCMH) model;
- Six advantages to enrolling in Medicare chronic care management;
- and much, much more, including key takeaways and lessons learned from existing physician quality reporting initiatives.
Reserve your copy today online:
Available in Single or Multi-User Licenses
A multi-user license will provide you with the right to install and use this information on
your company's computer network for an unlimited number of additional workstations within
your organization for a one-time fee. To have this valuable resource on your network,
or to inquire about ordering bulk copies in print or Adobe PDF, please e-mail email@example.com or call 888-446-3530.
P.S. -- You may also be interested in these physician reimbursement resources: